Sunday, September 4, 2011

Bill Kunkel: 1959 - 2011




Wow - this ht me over the head a few minutes ago, so I'll need a bit of time to let it sink in. Back around 1992 or 1993 when he was writing for Electronic Gaming Monthly as The Game Doctor, I'd sent in a few questions about random game stuff I'd been thinking about and much to my surprise, Bill not only printed my letter, but sent a nice note not too long afterward answering my questions in greater detail. Shortly afterward, he ran a contest asking readers of his column to draw up a Game Doctor picture and send it in. The winner would get his or her work printed in the magazine along with a prize package of random goodies, which was a big thing back in the day. I recall JUST making the deadline with a nice watercolor pic of some futuristic-looking guy in a green "surgical" robe. I didn't win the contest, but Bill liked my piece so much he ran it anyway, which made me quite happy. What made me happier was getting a small box packed with random items and a signed note on Sega/Capcom stationery that I still have here filed away. If I can track it down, I'll post the note for historical purposes, as the image on the note has Mega Man and Sonic shaking hands (now THAT would have been a great game had it ever gotten made)...

I'm not sure if Bill's book, Confessions of The Game Doctor is still in print - if it is, go track down a copy and read it for a peek at the amazing life of one of the pillars of game journalism. Too many so-called "games journalists" working today have little respect for the medium, or the developers who work day and night to create unique works that should be appreciated for more than visceral thrills and flashy visuals. Bill was there from the beginning (hell, he's the reason why there IS games journalism) and his always solid work made for an always great (and often amusing) read, no matter the subject. These few words I've scribbled here can't even BEGIN to tell the story of this all around great guy, so I'll stop here and maybe go whip out a classic game in his memory. So long, Bill - you'll be missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment